From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] .desktop file cleanup
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 08:31:34
1 On 01:56 Fri 07 Dec , Jeffrey Gardner wrote:
2 > While we're at it, why not bring those desktop files that are under our
3 > control more inline with the freedesktop standards?
4 >
5 > http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html
6 >
7 > Speaking for myself, "Edutainment" is a ridiculous category for science
8 > programs and I intend to change the desktop files (for as many sci
9 > programs as I can) to something more acceptable, as well as send patches
10 > upstream.
11 > I'm thinking Science-->Chemistry;Biology;Physics;etc...
12 >
13 > (although that doesn't quite fit the freedesktop standards either...)
14
15 Where are you quoting "Edutainment" from? I can't find it anywhere on
16 that page.
17
18 If you want to do something that doesn't fit the spec, get the spec
19 fixed. Looking through that list of main categories, scientific packages
20 might sorta fit in Education (to teach), Development (libraries and
21 development tools), Graphics (sci-viz, molecular graphics, etc) or
22 Office (to get work done), depending on each package's purpose. The
23 additional categories seem to fit quite well.
24
25 Thanks,
26 Donnie
27 --