From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Project proposal -- maintainer-wanted
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 21:23:41
1 On N, 2009-05-28 at 11:55 +0400, Peter Volkov wrote:
2 > В Чтв, 14/05/2009 в 03:32 +0300, Mart Raudsepp пишет:
3 > > Project maintainer-wanted
4 > > =========================
5 >
6 > Mart, I think that it's good idea to create such project but with a
7 > different goals. I think currently maintainer-wanted alias is missed by
8 > most developers: new packages are assigned there and from time to time
9 > random developer picks package he needs or user moves ebuild into
10 > Sunrise but nobody actually cares about packages/mail going there in
11 > general. The goal of maintainer-wanted project could be just gather
12 > statistics and highlighting most popular/interesting packages there.
13 > Something like "Top 10 most popular maintainer-wanted packages" monthly
14 > e-mail could be really useful.
15
16 Good idea in my opinion, but in a different way - the team could
17 maintain such a (unordered) list with varying package count size and
18 pick the packages to put to portage tree by them out of that list as
19 well when the manpower allows to maintain the package in question. But
20 having a list before actually packaging them in official tree could
21 serve as another list where other maintainers could pick them up and
22 package them before maintainer-wanted would, skipping the otherwise
23 supposedly short time maintainer-wanted would be maintaining it --
24 packages that are maintained by maintainer-wanted would have a list to
25 pick from as well, and the interested maintainer could find it from that
26 one too.
27
28 Above when I said "maintainer-wanted" I meant the herd/team with another
29 more suitable name then to not confuse with bugs assigned to that alias
30 that are still not maintained by anyone in the official tree (yes,
31 co-operation with Sunrise and the like I'd see as important).
34 Mart Raudsepp
35 Gentoo Developer
36 Mail: leio@g.o
37 Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio