From: Tim Boudreau <niftiness@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fw: reviewboard and its bugs
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:35:11
1 On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek) <
2 neurogeek@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I originally responded to another thread. Here is what I said:
5 > <
6 > I gave this a try some time ago and was bummed down by some things. I dont
7 > like nodejs enough, and npm devs seems to not care about centrally/globally
8 > installed packages. There are some npm packages that have to be modified so
9 > they can work when globally installed and it gets boring after a while. npm
10 > packages tend to be really small so one package can have a really high
11 > number of deps.
14 For NodeJS, the first-class thing is web applications, and as far as their
15 concerned, the "best practice" is, if your application uses a library, it
16 should have its own copy of it. And, for web applications, that *does*
17 guarantee that you know what version of everything you're deploying, and
18 allows an application to have dependencies which themselves have
19 conflicting dependencies - which helps ensure deployment is uncomplicated
20 and you know what you're deploying.
21
22 However, globally installed packages are supported, and are increasingly
23 important as people discover NodeJS is useful for things that are not
24 web-application related. So it seems like something that's not going away,
25 and sooner or later package managers will have to deal with it.
28 > If anybody is interested in this, check out my repo with npm packages[0]
29 > and a really simple g-npm tool[1] to generate ebuilds for them. These tools
30 > might be outdated cause I don't use nodejs anymore and I dont care much
31 > about it.
34 g-npm looks interesting.
35
36 -Tim