From: "Chris L. Mason" <clmason@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Non-root emerges
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:48:08
1 On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 14:40:52 -0400, Stephen P. Becker <geoman@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Which is the point of userpriv and usersandbox, which is already
4 > included in portage.
7 Yes, thanks, I'll be using that now. However, I still think it's more
8 secure to do everything as a regular user (including running all the
9 portage code!) and only elevating to root permissions for actual
10 merges. Otherwise you spend more time running things as root, even if
11 you drop for the builds, and it's possible for a bug to prevent the
12 privileges from being dropped. Anyway, just wanted to make that
13 point, obviously it's up to you guys to decide.
16 Chris
19 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list