From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: improve file system mounting and unmounting in OpenRC
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2015 17:39:36
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 07/08/15 12:59 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > On Fri, Aug 07, 2015 at 12:10:56PM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
7 >>
8 >> On 07/08/15 11:30 AM, William Hubbs wrote:
9 >>> On Thu, Aug 06, 2015 at 08:07:44PM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius
10 >>> wrote:
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Can we get "nofail" immediately in the mount -a variants of
13 >>>> localmount/netmount and expand that in netmount to make the
14 >>>> nfsclient dep be a "use" or a "need" depending on if it's set
15 >>>> or not?? That would imo kill the existing bug that started
16 >>>> all of this too.
17 >>>
18 >>> Sure, I can get the nofail support in pretty quick, and I
19 >>> think that is a feature we should have.
20 >>>
21 >>> Right now, netmount is using the use dependency to make sure
22 >>> network file system utilities are started before us. Because
23 >>> of the all-or-nothing nature of netmount, we can't switch
24 >>> those dependencies to need. It would cause netmount to fail if
25 >>> one of those utilities fails to start. The use dependency is
26 >>> the best one we can use at this time, and a migration path was
27 >>> specifically laid out in the news item.
28 >>>
29 >>
30 >> My thinking here is that, unless network mounts in fstab are
31 >> listed as 'nofail', that netmount failing due to the dependent
32 >> services not being able to start would be a valid case.
33 >> Sysadmins that don't want netmount to fail no matter what would
34 >> be able to use 'nofail' to ensure that happens.
35 >>
36 >> This is of course predicated on (1) it being a good idea, and
37 >> (2) fstabinfo or whatever the check currently is that would add
38 >> nfsclient to depend() could easily swap 'use' for 'need' based on
39 >> the (lack of) existence of the nofail attribute in fstab.
40 >
41 > The issue with using the need dependency is that netmount is not
42 > granular enough. It mounts all types of network file systems, so if
43 > we fail because nfs is a need dependency and doesn't start, no
44 > other types of network file systems that use daemons will be
45 > mounted. That's what I meant by all-or-nothing.
46 >
47 > William
50 Yes I follow that. My thoughts are #1, netmount (and localmount for
51 that matter) are all-or-nothing things; so if the service fails then I
52 don't think anything can necessarily be assumed as to which mounts
53 succeeded and which don't. #2, if 'nofail' is specified on the nfs
54 filesystem mounts (or there aren't any nfs filesystem mounts) in
55 /etc/fstab then the nfsclient 'need' would be a 'use' at most, which
56 means that there won't be any failures for other net-based filesystems
57 and netmount would succeed (assuming those other network filesystem
58 types don't trigger a failure).
59
60 I don't know if #2 is enough to keep the userbase happy that expects
61 netmount to succeed in mounting other network filesystems. I think we
62 need to ask.
63
64 What we would essentially end up with is a situation where 'nofail' on
65 the nfs mount points in fstab provides exactly the same behaviour that
66 netmount has now (assuming other network filesystems succeed), while
67 without 'nofail' netmount will fail if there's an nfs filesystem to
68 mount and nfsclient doesn't start, but will bring in nfsclient even if
69 its not in the runlevel and will succeed when nfsclient does start.