From: Ricardo Correia <gentoo-dev@××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for an alternative portage tree sync method
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:58:25
1 On Tuesday 22 March 2005 13:55, Patrick Lauer wrote:
2 >
3 > A few problems:
4 > - that .iso and the .zsync metadata need to be generated. More load on
5 > master server
6 > - isos don't allow easy access, e.g. writing a few bytes for a tricial
7 > bugfix
8 > - mkisofs might shuffle the data so that transferring one large file
9 > might cause more traffic than rsync does now
10 >
11 > I don't see the advantages over tar + binary diffs.
14 You make valid points, but notice:
15 - The .zsync metadata doesn't have to be generated on the master server.
16 Anyone can do it right now.
17 - ISO's would have to be regenerated periodically. This could vary from every
18 30 minutes to only once per day, we'd have to see how it works.
19 Personally I think every 30 minutes would be viable, but it's not really
20 necessary. Once per day would be enough and better than emerge-webrsync..
21
22 The advantage over tar + binary diffs:
23 - Client doesn't have to remove entire portage tree and extract the tar file
24 every sync.
25 - I think xdelta might be possible, but bsdiff would be impossible due to the
26 memory requirements for a tar this large. I don't really know how xdelta
27 performs CPU-wise and memory-wise..
28 - It's simpler (only 2 files on the server and very few commands
29 necessary) :-)
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list