From: Vlastimil Babka <caster@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE flag documentation
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 09:01:31
1 Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > What do people think of this?
3 >
4 > a) Keep use.desc as it is: a list of common flags and a short general
5 > description of their meaning.
6
7 Good.
8
9 > b) Keep use.local.desc as it is: a list of per-package flags that are
10 > specific to one to a few ebuilds (i think 5 is the number though i think
11 > 10 is more appropriate, but that's not relevant to this discussion).
12 > Again, each has a short description.
13 >
14 > c) Allow flags from use.desc to also exist in use.local.desc. In the
15 > case that a flag for a package exists in both, the use.local.desc
16 > description overrides the use.desc one. This allows a more specific
17 > per-package description of global flags.
18
19 Good.
20
21 > d) Allow long descriptions in a package's metadata.xml, as some have
22 > begun to do already, for cases where more info is needed. For example
23 > I'd like to explain exactly what the bindist flag on freetype does and
24 > what legal implications disabling it can have.
25
26 Right. Also why not also add short descriptions there, and deprecate
27 use.local.desc when tools are converted? Placing package-local info to
28 global files (when not needed to distinguish profiles as with
29 package.use.mask etc) is icky.
30 Note that the metadata.xml should be able to record per-version
31 differences somehow.
32
33 > On the other hand, if there are any far-reaching changes we need made to
34 > the USE flag system - any features we wish we had or misfeatures we wish
35 > we didn't - now would be a good time to address them.
36
37 I wish for use deps :P
38 Well, addressing conflicts and implications between flags at ebuild/PM
39 level would be also nice, but really shouldn't affect the way
40 documentation is handled, IMHO.
41
42 VB
43 --