From: Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Debugging a Linux kernel deadlock when doing swap on ZFS
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 05:23:48
1 On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 19:30:08 -0400
2 Richard Yao <ryao@×××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
3
4 > I am running Gentoo on ZFS using the kernel modules from sys-kernel/spl
5 > and sys-fs/zfs. If I put swap on ZFS, the kernel appears to deadlock
6 > when it tries to use it. I am having trouble getting a backtrace.
7 >
8 > Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could debug this?
9 >
10 If it's that easy to reproduce, I'd suggest to try it in usermode
11 linux (ARCH=um make). It's a linux kernel as unprivileged userspace
12 process. Easy to attach with gdb, add printk and etc.
13 Does not support SMP.
14
15 - swap on FS has some optimizations which are not very well suited
16 to copy-on-write files. kernel picks file block map from filesystem
17 and tries to use it directly (code might be shared with FIBMAP
18 implementation). It's a tricky part to handle.
19 - triple-check all ZFS memory allocations go at least via GFP_NOFS
20 allocations.
24 Sergei