From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Anti-spam changes: proposal to drop spammy mail
Date: Sat, 23 May 2015 15:36:31
1 On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Niels Dettenbach (Syndicat.com)
2 <nd@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Am 23.05.2015 um 16:20 schrieb Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>:
5 >>
6 >> With Gmail I can have an email with 14 tags. Via IMAP it shows up as
7 >> if it were in 14 folders at the same time. It is a bit kludgy, but it
8 >> at least works.
9 > This is NOT part of a mail service - it is part of a mail client. There are different webmail solutions out (usable with any real mail provider) allowing unlimited tagging btw...
12 Like I said, Gmail draws the line between client and server
13 differently, and I find it more useful.
14
15 Are any of those webmail solutions FOSS, and do they support accessing
16 the mail by tags via IMAP using arbitrary clients? Do they support
17 tagging via keyboard shortcuts alone, at least as far as applying the
18 trash tag, removing the inbox tag, and applying the spam tag go? Do
19 they also integrate with calendar/contact/document servers? Heck, I'm
20 not even aware of a decent open calendar service protocol. Sure,
21 everybody and their uncle can export ics files, but that is one-way
22 only.
23
24 I find those Gmail features useful. You can argue that exposing tags
25 via IMAP violates the original intent of IMAP, but that doesn't make
26 it less useful. It is like arguing that ZFS is a rampant layering
27 violation - that is a nice philisophical argument but not nearly as
28 nice as avoiding the write hole or the need to do a read before
29 writing a partial stripe.
30
31 > It is typically not the wisest idea to choose a mail service by any kind of client software it offers - this remembers me hardly to the Lotus notes hype…
32
33 Sure, and if anybody made a decent webmail client with the features
34 above that wasn't bundled to a service I'd happily use it.
38 Rich