From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo stats server/client @ 2010-04-21
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 01:44:53
1 Intro
2 =====
3 Some of you may remember that project of mine I worked on for
4 GSOC 2009: collection of information on Gentoo user machine setups.
5
6 I have been extending Smolt [1] (whose current upstream version
7 collects information on hardware) to fit our interest in the
8 software side of things.
11 News
12 ====
13 In the past days [2] I have been migrating the server side of Smolt
14 to server-to-server communication. What does that mean?
15
16 Server-to-server communication
17 ------------------------------
18 When a client submits to the Gentoo Smolt Server, the server will
19 extract the part of interest to the common Smolt server (smolts.org)
20 and forward it.
21
22 As a consequence the needs for space in storage (quite a few SQL
23 tables, use flags per installed package, ..) and increased
24 processing time per submission are no problem to smolts.org
25 anymore. Also we gain more direct access to "our" data from it.
26
27 Another thing I've been working on is re-shaping the Gentoo code in
28 a way that it's now ready to go upstream, at least from my point of
29 view. I have requested permission to merge it in a few hours ago:
30 Let's see how upstream thinks about it.
31
32 So that's the news I wanted to share with you.
36 Sebastian
39 [1] https://fedorahosted.org/smolt/
40 [2]
41 http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/?p=smolt.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/next