From: sirperc@×××××.com
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Introduction to Gentoo Development Teams and Processes
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 15:58:43
1 Hello,
2
3 My name is Michael Spall, although I prefer sirperc or Sir Perc in
4 general (don't ask).
5 I am interested in joining in with the dvelopment of Gentoo, I am
6 capable of programming, although it is not my main area of interest.
7 Instead I am better at Design, Organization and Testing.
8
9 I would be interested in working with the documentation team, I've
10 signed up to the Documentation List, although it's a little quiet at the
11 moment and my familiarity with Gentoo is a little low at the moment.
12 I would also be interested in working to help formulate team dynamics,
13 better team co-operation and general administration of the entire
14 project.
15
16 Effectively if anybody has anything simplet hat you wish to be done then
17 please don't hesitate to email me, I'm happy to take some of those mind
18 numbingly boring tasks off of your hands at the moment, mostly things
19 like writing up documentation, composing web pages and such work.
20
21 Hope to hear from some of you soon.
22
23 My initial ideas, I am not aware of which ones have been discussed and
24 which haven't so apologies if these have been discussed and discarded:
25
26 1. A split between the user/newbies and other support lists and the
27 Development lists
28 At the moment the majority of traffic on the dev and doc lists seems to
29 be people asking questions that would be jsut as appropriate, or more so
30 in the user and newbie lists.
31 I would suggest the closure of list subscription for the development
32 lists to accepted developers, a web based submission form could allow
33 people to submit their requests for developer status.
34 Also this would allow the list to be set to only accepting emails from
35 subscribers, further reducing the badn width wastage on the list.
36
37 2. A recruitment process to get some regular posters on the users/newbie
38 lists to form a newbie / questions team. developers would help out, and
39 the team would be more dedicated to providing accurate answers to the
40 posts for help on the users lists.
41 Again a support website could be set up, with a FAQ section (something
42 sorely missing), a system for listing available support members and
43 systems for rewarding those members in various forms.
44
45 3. The seperation and development of a team based strategy towards the
46 development of the whole system. That is to say that whole sections
47 would form teams, somehwat like the desktop and doc teams have at the
48 moment but with more formalised processes.
49 Each team should have their own website and email list, supporting TODO
50 lists, their own bug-lists, and other features as necessary.
51 Each team should have highly visible team leaders, directing the goals
52 of the team, and should have clearly written team definition documents.
53
54 I have lots of little ideas in addition, some of which will probably
55 laughed at (Hey I'm used to it, so feel fine to point and laugh :-) )
56 however my main concern in gentoo is that there is no set system for
57 submitting new ideas for the whole system.
58
59 Ah well I hope that you dont rip these ideas apart too badly :), but
60 please criticise where necessary, and tell me I'm wrong where I am
61 wrong.
64 This email was written by Sir Perc (Mr M. Spall) and should be accompanied by a signature for checking with PGP, available at http://www.pgpi.org
65 My PGP Key is available with the email address sirperc@×××××.com