From: Matt Wilson <matt@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Maintaining production systems - and losing ebuilds
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:48:29
1 On Tue, 2003-11-11 at 21:38, Spider wrote:
2 > begin quote
3 > On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:00:57 +0000
4 > Matt Wilson <matt@×××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >
6 > btw, didn't you mean to post this to the list?
7
8 Apologies, I did, yes (first post woes!)
9
10 > > > No, in fact not.
11 > > > For Corporate use in this case, we should release a snapshot,
12 > > > reduced
13 > > > tree, stable tree, or something like that.
14 > > > Then -NEVER- -EVER- Change that.
15 > >
16 > > There was the mention of security updates being added, would surely
17 > > would be beneficial, even essential, to the tree?
21 > No, see the post for rationale.
22 > The -RELEASE- tree should -NEVER EVER- Change. Errata (that is security
23 > updates and critical bugfixes) should be released as a -SEPARATE- tree.
24 >
25 > Adding extra emphasis here.
26
27 Fair enough, that makes sense, though I suspect that most
28 companies/organisations that would use *any* tree would want to keep up
29 with security releases - making the "release" tree unused - unless the
30 proposal was that anything that may need essential (e.g. security)
31 patches went in a separate tree (sorry if this is the case, I missed the
32 start of this discussion).
35 http://www.mattsscripts.co.uk/
36 - A great source for free CGI and stuff
37
38 I AM DEATH, NOT TAXES. I TURN UP ONLY ONCE. (Feet of Clay)
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list