From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] */*: Mask Py2 only packages
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2020 23:29:00
1 On Fri, Jun 26, 2020 at 01:48:31PM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > So, thanks for proving my point that all the tooling changes, notices,
3 > ML posts, etc don't matter. Someone *will* find something to complain
4 > about.
5 They will also complain about the status quo, you won't win there!
6
7 > >2. The report does not list maintainers, which means nobody is likely
8 > >to know they have a package on the list.
11 > Do you argue just to argue? Sad. If someone like Robin (who at one
12 > point had like 5% of the tree under his maintainer ship) complained
13 > about that I may see it worthwhile.
14 Some of the packages shown on the py27 list I had LONG forgotten that I
15 maintained: I'll try and get to fixing them now.
16
17 I did q-text-as-data this week, because I actually needed it for a quick
18 project and I haven't used it since I changed my default python away
19 from py27 last month.
20
21 > Just another red herring...
22 I'm mostly speaking to the QA team here, and Python team indirectly:
23 Indirectly because the Python team is one of the few teams to step up
24 and provide QA checks outside of the QA team directly. This thread
25 however has shown that output of those checks however needs to become
26 easier to consume.
27
28 TL;DR: Please make it easier to search on the QA reports site for
29 issues, and only show things directly relevant to the search.
30
31 A long time ago, there was blizzy's site that listed packages that were
32 stabilization candidates, and you could filter by developer. It really
33 helped making it easier to detect and progress.
34
35 At a bare minimum, having an on-site way that already expands the data
36 and makes it searchable by developer.
37
38 Have files like https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/py2.txt
39 directly loaded into qa-reports and expanded out (which is cachable) and
40 then let devs search w/ their browser.
41
42 cat/package:slot (reason) (all-direct-maintainers),(expanded-projects)
43
44 get-git-file.sh tries very hard to get there for the gentoo-ci output,
45 needs performance and usability improvements, but it's vastly better
46 than the py2.txt file already.
47 Some issues:
48 - Make it more visible! Right now you have to have a link to it from
49 somewhere else, and it doesn't accept a branch name
50 (https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gentoo-ci/HEAD/output.html
51 returns 404)
52 - Why does it take 15 seconds to load?
53 - Add filter by developers (by direct maintainer OR membership in alias)
54 - Add filter by package/cat
55 - Add filter by check name
56 - Machine-readable format should be the same data as human-readable (I
57 can't just take the .xml and grep it, it doesn't have maintainers at
58 all)
59
60 > >> See above. Qa-reports will output a very nice list (even a graphic!)
61 > >of such things. Anyway, yes, I do expect devs to understand their
62 > >packages state if they maintain it. Don't be so myopic.
63 > >
64 > >Well, you can expect whatever you want, and then you can be frustrated
65 > >out of your mind when 95% of devs fail to meet your expectations.
66 > >
67 > I am not frustrated. I will continue to perform the same in intervals to drive the removal of Py2.
68 Can we have that graphic in a searchable text format? <3.
71 Robin Hugh Johnson
72 Gentoo Linux: Dev, Infra Lead, Foundation Treasurer
73 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
74 GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85
75 GnuPG FP : 7D0B3CEB E9B85B1F 825BCECF EE05E6F6 A48F6136