From: Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] UEFI secure boot and Gentoo
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 05:26:24
1 On 15 June 2012 10:33, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 15 June 2012 12:45, Arun Raghavan <ford_prefect@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 15 June 2012 09:58, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> So, anyone been thinking about this?  I have, and it's not pretty.
5 >>>
6 >>> Minor details like, "do we have a 'company' that can pay Microsoft to
7 >>> sign our bootloader?" is one aspect from the non-technical side that I've
8 >>> been wondering about.
9 >>
10 >> Sounds like something the Gentoo Foundation could do.
11 >
12 > I'm certainly not the only one who would be averse to paying Microsoft
13 > any ransom money.
14
15 And our refusal to pay for the signing affects precisely nobody except
16 for our users, who will have to jump through an extra hoop to make
17 their system work.
18
19 On the flip side, having a simple way to use this infrastructure means
20 that people who care about security can get a chain of trust from the
21 firmware to the kernel (heck, maybe even userspace one day). This is
22 something that is worth having as well.
23 --
24 Arun Raghavan
25 http://arunraghavan.net/
26 (Ford_Prefect | Gentoo) & (arunsr | GNOME)