From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Manifest2 format
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:46:38
1 Marius Mauch wrote: [Tue Dec 06 2005, 10:04:53AM CST]
2 > As promised here the GLEP for Manifest2 support:
3 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0044.html
4
5 You know, I'd actually support a rather more abrupt transition,
6 where we announce that on a particular date all digest files are going
7 to be removed, thereby breaking any version of portage older than
8 portage-x.y.z. Many people would probably miss such a deadline, but
9 assuming that we also publicize how to download and unpack a portage
10 rescue tarball then I would think that the actual pain would be minimal.
11 (Indeed, we could even have a fix-portage.sh script in
12 /usr/portage/scripts that would do the downloading and unpacking, if we
13 wanted to be particularly nice.) Backwards compatibility is nice, but
14 I'd really rather not see good ideas take a year to fully be implemented
15 unless absolutely required.
16
17 -g2boojum-
18 --
19 Grant Goodyear
20 Gentoo Developer
21 g2boojum@g.o
22 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
23 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76