From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Democracy: No silver bullet
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 21:42:24
1 Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> posted 1156678084l.9833l.0l@spike,
2 excerpted below, on Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:28:04 +0100:
3
4 > I think the problem(s) stem from the way Gentoo is organised now. I'm
5 > sure you will shoot me down if I'm wrong. In summary. Gentoo is a loose
6 > knit group of packages with individuals belonging to one or more of the
7 > herds that maintain them. The herd/team leads are supposed to 'get
8 > along' but on occasions, this doesn't happen. Above them is the
9 > council.
10 >
11 > If that's wrong, stop reading here.
12
13 There are (as usual) details, but from my read, that's pretty close.
14
15 > Lets define Management - its a process of planning, communicating the
16 > plan, getting buy in from the team(s) who will execute the plan,
17 > gathering feedback on progress and replanning. It looks cyclic but its
18 > really a set of concurrent activities. Google PRINCE2 for the details.
19 >
20 > At the top level, the council, in its present form does not manage
21 > Gentoo. It can't, it's pretty much disempowered as a management
22 > organisation due to the rules for its agenda setting.
23
24 An acutely accurate observation, AFAICT.
25
26 > If the council are to undertake the management of Gentoo, its terms of
27 > reference need to be drastically altered to allow them to undertake the
28 > management process defined above.
29
30 > In short, Gentoo has a top level power vacuum, allowing what amounts to
31 > the 'power struggle 'we see today.
32
33 This is the best reading of the situation I've seen, IMO. Good work!
34
35 Whether changing the rules to allow the council to manage appropriately is
36 politically doable or not remains an open question, and I'm not even sure
37 I'd back it myself if it is possible, but that's the best description of
38 where we are at that I've seen, which means we've gone along
39 way toward accomplishing the first step in any good debate, a proper
40 definition of the issue.
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list