From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 41: Making Arch Testers official Gentoo Staff
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 16:17:10
1 On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 00:39:31 -0500 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Each has a role, don't blur the AT definition into ebuild devs unless
4 | you've after eliminating AT positions (something I doubt going by
5 | your previous QA threads); if you're after that, state so please.
6
7 Not at all. I'd like it much more if every new potential tree developer
8 had to go through a phase of being an AT (or an equivalent role for
9 doing ebuild development). It's a great way to find out whether people
10 are *really* going to be good as a developer.
11
12 | Your metric frankly is rather vague. Come up with one applicable to
13 | AT's rather then vague terms impying AT's are not of the 'elite'
14 | ebuild dev standard please.
15
16 Bah, it's not elitism. It's a matter of experience.
17
18 | IOW, nail down your metric, then apply it to the existing AT's (since
19 | they are what we have to work with), and then re-raise your views
20 | that they "don't know what they're doing".
21
22 Uh, that isn't my view. My view is that if they aren't yet experienced
23 enough to have tree commit access then they're not yet experienced
24 enough to vote.
25
26 This is entirely separate from other developer roles. There's more than
27 one way to become an experienced developer, some of which don't involve
28 touching the tree.
29
30 | > An arch tester has not committed himself to the project for the same
31 | > length of time as a full developer.
32 |
33 | This is mild BS, since it's a common issue to all classes of gentoo
34 | volunteers. Further, stats provided (as were requested) I'd posit
35 | are actually better then ebuild dev stats, although worth noting the
36 | sampling period differs.
37
38 Try comparing it against the stats for the first month or two of every
39 ebuild dev.
40
41 | > Uhm... Different people have different skill levels. Some of this is
42 | > down to natural ability, some of it is down to experience. Arch
43 | > testers have not yet proven themselves. Full developers have (at
44 | > least in theory...).
45 |
46 | Not much for the natural ability bit/elitist stuff; the question is
47 | what they've demonstrated, the work done. Doesn't matter if it
48 | takes a person 20 hours, or 1, it's the end product people see,
49 | and what ultimately matters (as you've pointed out in re: to QA).
50
51 There are times when being able to get something right *quickly* is
52 extremely important. Sometimes it makes no difference, sometimes it
53 does.
54
55 | Beyond that, I don't agreew with the "Arch testers haven't proven
56 | themselves". They wouldn't be marked as AT's by the arch if they
57 | hadn't demonstrated some form of worth, just the same as ebuild devs
58 | aren't recruited if they haven't shown some form of worth (this
59 | includes ability to stick around for more then a month). Screwups
60 | happen, but the stats offered are a pretty good indication they've
61 | got that angle addressed imo.
62
63 The whole point of the AT role is that it's used as a kind of testing
64 ground for potential full developers. It's a way to get the benefit of
65 extra testers without having to commit to giving them tree access
66 straight away.
67
68 | Treating contributors as second class citizens (in terms of cvs ro
69 | access and email) is a really great way to piss on people who are
70 | doing a good chunk of work for gentoo.
71
72 Bah. By the same argument, why don't we give out @gentoo.org addresses
73 to anyone who ever files a bug report? Otherwise we're treating our
74 users as second class citizens!
77 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
78 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
79 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm