From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 08:00:02
1 Hi!
2
3 On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 16:51:17 -0500 Ben Kohler wrote:
4 > I'd like to propose adding USE=udev to our linux profiles (in
5 > profiles/default/linux/make.defaults probably). This flag is already
6 > enabled on desktop profiles but it also affects quite a few packages
7 > used on non-desktop linux systems.
8 >
9 > This flag provides useful functionality that most linux users will want.
10 > I'm a bit surprised that we still don't have it in all linux profiles,
11 > but I think we've worked around this in the past by adding IUSE=+udev to
12 > quite a few of those packages (33 packages, 116 ebuilds, by my count).
13 >
14 > This missing flag came to my attention again on bug 661584 where lvm2
15 > has IUSE=+udev but cryptsetup has only IUSE=udev, so non-desktop users
16 > have a bit of a mismatch between the 2 and get ugly errors on cryptsetup.
17 >
18 > Since this flag only affects linux, I think it makes more sense to set
19 > it in linux profiles than to use IUSE defaults.
20 >
21 > Any objections to this idea?
22
23 A user had contacted me with his input from the HPC world, I'm
24 redirecting his e-mail here. James is whitelisted now so he can
25 further participate in this discussion himself if necessary.
26
27 As an HPC user of Gentoo I agree that minimal and highly optimized
28 Gentoo setups are indeed very useful and must stay that way.
29
30 Begin forwarded message:
31
32 Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 13:31:59 -0400
33 From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
34 To: bircoph@g.o
35 Subject: udev's future
38 Hello Andrew,
41 Sorry, I do not have direct posting ability to gentoo-dev, so in
42 hopes of finding a dev-sponsor, I hope you will paraphrase this
43 email to you for the sake of preventing 'dev as a default' or base
44 setting of any sort.
47 My research and testing for new HPC configurations, has systemd
48 and udev at the heart of codes to avoid to optimize the
49 heterogeneous nature of the clusters I'm building. In fact my
50 development work, although delayed due to transient-illness, is
51 more of a gentoo-centric convergence of embedded-gentoo, minimal
52 (server) gentoo, gentoo-hpc clusters and unikernels. As far as
53 performance and security are concerned 'less' is always better.
54 Those codes and ebuild that are desired are to added in a higher
55 level; hoping to continue the leverage the portage tree of
56 applications, only as dynamically required.
59 Avoidance of setting udev or in any form mandating any part of
60 systemd will have dire consequences and cost me months, if not
61 years to find a way to 'totally undo' the ravages of udev.
62 Minimized kernels are also fundamental to my loosely-coupled
63 (gentoo) HPC development. Even tiny Rtos based embedded linux
64 systems are in the process of being included in a loosely-coupled
65 gentoo centric heterogeneous HPC cluster. I would 'beg' against
66 making udev primary under any circumstance.
69 Gentoo has a unique and powerful position, just for it's position of
70 choice and minimizational features; After 15 years, I'd hate to have
71 to work in another distro, as gentoo has served me extraordinarily
72 well over the decades.
75 sincerely,
76 James Horton, PE
77