From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Printer drivers and net-print
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 22:11:47
1 On 02/20/2017 03:47 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Hey all,
3 >
4 > 1) Putting printer drivers into "net-print" is silly.
5 >
6 > Something that converts format a to device-specific format b has absolutely
7 > nothing to do with network.
8 > So, a new category "sys-print", emphasizing that it's hardware drivers, (or
9 > "cups-drv"?) (or maybe "media-print"?) might make sense.
10 >
11 > 2) After introducing that, however, "net-print" becomes nearly empty.
12 >
13 > On a quick glance, the only *network*-specific packages in there are cups and
14 > lprng. Maybe one or two more which I dont recognize.
15 >
16 > So move cups and lprng to "net-misc" and drop "net-print"?
17 > Or move them to new "sys-print" as well?
18 >
19 > What do you think?
20 >
21 > Cheers,
22 > Andreas
25 Moving stuff around seems sort of like busy work. I can see the
26 reasoning and as mjeveritt mentioned in the other email a full category
27 rename may work just as well (instead of moving a couple of packages and
28 also a rename). The question to me is 'is there a great enough need to
29 go through the pain of this?'.
32 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)