From: "Paweł Hajdan
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Policy-level discussion for minimum versions on dependencies
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2013 15:52:19
1 On 11/6/13 7:15 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > The synopsis of the situation is that the latest firefox ebuild now
3 > depends on icu, specifically icu-50.1 or above. When this version of
4 > firefox was added to the tree, the lowest version of icu in the tree
5 > was icu-51.0 -- in fact, icu-48 through icu-50 were dropped from the
6 > tree about 2 months prior to the new firefox being added.
7 >
8 > The bug that was filed, is that a user didn't do a full emerge -uDN
9 > @world prior to emerging (upgrading?) firefox, and they had icu-49
10 > already installed. Because the firefox dep didn't have a minimum
11 > version, portage didn't see upgrading icu as a requirement before
12 > firefox emerged.
13
14 I've seen things like that happening.
15
16 I wouldn't really create yet another policy (it doesn't make things
17 happen). I'd leave it up to the maintainer: it'd be fine to declare it
18 not a bug, and it'd also be fine to fix.
19
20 I'm generally leaning toward fixing and adding the minimum version to
21 deps. Helps the users, and doesn't really hurt maintainability.
22
23 Paweł