From: James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Cc: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] old "masked for testing" entries
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 21:45:57
1 >>>>> "MG" == Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o> writes:
2
3 MG> For example, I think the major reason for the sys-libs/db mask is a
4 MG> weird licensing issue. It's still nice to have it in the tree.
5
6 That only applies to db:6.0.
7
8 I know debian and ubuntu primarily use 5.3 these days, with the only
9 issues being related to upgrading existing stores to the newer formats
10 as they release newer versions and re-compilations of the reverse
11 dependencies linked against 5.3.
12
13 I've read that some heavy users of db, such as sks, work better with 5.3
14 than they did with older versions. But upgrading needs to be done with care.
15
16 So it should be fine to unmask 5.3 and slowly update reverse
17 dependencies to depend on 5.3 instead of whichever 4.x they currently
18 demand.
19
20 Unmasking the earlier 5.x releases seems unnecessary, though.
21
22 -JimC
23 --
24 James Cloos <cloos@×××××××.com> OpenPGP: 0x997A9F17ED7DAEA6