From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Problem with "emerge system"
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 01:20:52
1 On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 01:52:43AM -0500, Jason wrote:
2
3 > Just recently I re partitioned my drive and (willingly) reinstalled Gentoo
4 > Linux. The bootstrap went well and the rsync went well, however, when I went
5 > to emerge the system (pretend at first), it could not find the ebuild file
6 > for texinfo. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
7
8 This is a known problem that I mistakenly created. It should have been fixed
9 1-2 days ago. When did you try an emerge system?
10 >
11 > Also.. In the base system packages, is it possible to exclude certain
12 > packages that I do not use such as gpm, isapnptools, efs2progs, lilo or grub
13 > without causing any dependancy issues? If so...I would love some info on
14 > what file to edit so that "emerge system" will not install these files.
15
16 Do this:
17
18 cd /etc
19 rm make.profile
20 cp -r /usr/portage/profiles/default-1.0_rc6 make.profile
21 cd make.profile
22 vim packages
23 (remove e2fsprogs (!), isapnptools)
24 then do an emerge system
25
26 You'll now have your own private system profile that will not get automatically
27 updated when /usr/portage/profiles/default-1.0_rc6 gets updated, so you should
28 periodically check for fixes/updates.
29 >
30 > Thank you very much...and keep up the great work with this excellent project!
31
32 You're welcome, and sorry that your emerge system didn't go smoothly for you.
33 Please let me know if you have any additional problems. I want to make sure
34 that this texinfo problem no longer exists.
35
36 Best Regards,
39 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
40 Chief Architect/President http://www.gentoo.org