From: "Tiziano Müller" <dev-zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Renaming the caps USE flag to libcap
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 15:05:20
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
4 > I'd like to propose the rename of caps USE flag to libcap. The reason
5 > for this is that I'd like to free the "caps" USE flag from the (runtime)
6 > dependency of libcap, so that, one we have the framework to do so, we
7 > could use the "caps' USE flag to set file capabilities directly (rather
8 > than setuid for instance).
9 As an example: the pwsafe app suggest you have to run it suid (since it
10 tries to lock some memory to avoid swapping), but doing 'setcap
11 cap_ipc_lock=ep /usr/bin/pwsafe' is enough.
12
13 > The step right afterward would be, for me, to find a way to mirror the
14 > capabilities from within Portage. I admit I have no clue how to achieve
15 > that for now. But at least the rename is a simple task, and I suppose
16 > the capabilities handling _could_ be a SoC project...
17
18 Well, I'm not sure whether libcap is a good choice: What about
19 (not-yet-existing) apps which provide capability-support through another
20 package (like a foobar language libcap-wrapper)? Should they also use
21 libcap then?
25 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list