From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Sets vs Meta ebuilds
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2017 23:25:01
1 On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 7:09 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Sat, 8 Jul 2017 18:34:55 -0400
4 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> What do sets get us that packages do not? Why not move the other
7 >> direction and just have packages instead of sets?
8 >
9 > The blog entry I provided a link to I think made the best case example
10 > of usage of sets and their benefits.
11 > https://makuro.wordpress.com/2010/12/12/intro-to-portage-sets/
12 >
13 > The biggest advantage is ability to re-emerge all without additional
14 > steps or arguments. Simple emerge @my_set just like emerge world, etc.
15 > Even more useful you can remove a set directly, without depclean.
16
17 I don't see why a package manager couldn't offer the same
18 functionality for a meta package. As was pointed out the set behavior
19 for unmerging isn't always desirable.
22 > world and system are sets we all have. Not sure about PMS. It is
23 > something portage has supported for some time. You likely have many
24 > sets already on your system
25
26 Certainly. You just can't depend on them and so on without having
27 them in PMS, because portage isn't the only package manager we
28 "support."
29
30 It just strikes me that we're probably better off picking one way of
31 doing this and putting lots of support behind it, versus having two
32 ways of doing this and some features work with one but not the other.
33 Of the two meta packages seem like they're the most generic.
36 Rich