From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Changes to date format of current GLEPs
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 21:45:45
1 On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 22:18:36 +0100 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
2 | Pardon my ignorance, but how's a GLEP amending a GLEP (amending a
3 | GLEP ...) less confusing than just changing the text of the original
4 | GLEP... Huh, goes beyond me...
5
6 History. Look at RFCs for a good example. There's nothing wrong with
7 extending or replacing parts of existing standards, especially if the
8 existing standards are clearly marked as "extended by $blah" or
9 "replaced by $blah". On the other hand, changing accepted GLEPs leads to
10 confusion -- when someone says "GLEP 1", do they mean "GLEP 1 as it was
11 when it was approved" or "GLEP 1 plus the modifications made three
12 weeks ago" or "GLEP 1 plus the modifications made three weeks ago plus
13 the modifications made last Tuesday"?
14
15 Plus, of course, it helps to have a record of *why* changes were
16 made...
19 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
20 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
21 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm