From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE=-native-symlinks for gcc-config and binutils-config
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 02:41:13
1 On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 5:36 PM Sergei Trofimovich <slyfox@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > 'tc-directly' tracker https://bugs.gentoo.org/243502 tracks
4 > packages that don't respect users' CC/AR/LD flags.
5 >
6 > I added new USE=-native-symlinks mode for gcc-config and
7 > binutils-config to ease detection of such packages.
8 >
9 > Native symlinks are still installed by default. Nothing should
10 > break for users who use default USE flags.
11 >
12 > USE=-native-symlinks removes a bunch of links that most packages
13 > use by default until are overridden explicitly. Incomplete list is:
14 > - /lib/cpp
15 > - /usr/bin/{gcc,cc,g++,c++,...}
16 > - /usr/bin/{as,ld,ranlib,dwp,...}
17 >
18 > The rule of thumb is: if a tool does not have ${CTARGET}- prefix
19 > it will probably disappear with USE=-native-symlinks.
20 >
21 > (At least eventually) 'emerge' should still be able to build most
22 > of packages in such environment. I expect initial breakage will be
23 > huge though.
24
25 Could you please add this flag to package.use.force? I don't think we
26 want to give people the impression that this is a well-supported
27 configuration. I would only expect people to disable this if they want
28 to break their system intentionally.
29
30 Also, people are likely to disable this accidentally via USE="-*".