From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Guidance on adding kernel config checks to ebuilds
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2021 18:15:31
1 On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 1:44 PM Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 01:15:10PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
4 > > On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 12:23 PM Mike Pagano <mpagano@g.o> wrote:
5 > > > > Adding linux-info calls to pkg_pretend or pkg_setup causes slowdowns
6 > > > > when running emerge, so we should do so only when there is a
7 > > > > compensating benefit.
8 > > >
9 > > > Is this a significant slowdown? Do you have any numbers?
10 > >
11 > > Adding a check for CONFIG_PACKET to the dhcpcd ebuild adds around 7
12 > > seconds of delay time to the pkg_setup and/or pkg_pretend phase on my
13 > > system.
14 > >
15 > > That's ok if a small number of packages are doing it, but it would
16 > > become quite annoying if a significant number of them get queued up.
17 > 7 seconds is ridiculous.
18
19 I think the horribly slow performance is mainly due to this change in
20 how we detect the kernel version:
21
22 https://gitweb.gentoo.org/repo/gentoo.git/commit/eclass/linux-info.eclass?id=d1ea596f034285cd044006b107a60902ea059793
23
24 That causes "make" to be called 4 times, and each make invocation adds
25 a couple of seconds to the get_version call.