From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New eclass: autotools-utils.eclass
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 11:32:59
1 On Saturday 17 of July 2010 13:03:33 Petteri Räty wrote:
2 > On 07/17/2010 01:53 PM, Maciej Mrozowski wrote:
3 > > After gathering some feedback, after addressing reported issues, now I
4 > > feel it's ready for public consumption. especially when static-libs is
5 > > being used more and more often. It's purpose is to become standard
6 > > eclass for autotools build systems.
7 > >
8 > > Brief description:
9 > > autotools-utils.eclass is autotools.eclass (so libtool.eclass) and
10 > > base.eclass (so eutils.eclass) wrapper providing all inherited features
11 > > (it is guaranteed, no need to additionally inherit any of those) along
12 > > with econf arguments as Bash array, out of source build with overridable
13 > > build dir location, static archives handling, libtool files removal,
14 > > enable/disable debug handling. It's modelled after cmake-utils and
15 > > resembles it in many aspects for consistency.
16 >
17 > Maybe choose some other name. For me -utils in an eclass name means a
18 > set of helper functions. I would name it so the name reflects that it's
19 > meant to be used as the main build system provider.
20
21 It's for consistency with existing cmake-utils.eclass, which is main cmake
22 buildsystem provider (no idea why it wasn't called just 'cmake' by initial
23 commiters). Unfortunately autotools name is already taken and extending
24 autotools so much (adding new defined phases) is not possible (nor is
25 renaming) as far as I understand.
28 regards
29 MM