From: Jon Nelson <jnelson@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Cc: erikg@××××××××××××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Point of fact.
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 11:15:03
1 On 08 Mar 2002 17:51:17 +0100
2 Erik Grinaker <erikg@××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > On Fri, 2002-03-08 at 16:55, Sean Mitchell wrote:
5 >
6 > > Well, the rest of that whole post aside, many of us have had trouble with
7 > > grub because we have no separate /boot partition. In my case, my /boot
8 > > partition is on /dev/hde1, which grub just can't seem to find.
9 > >
10 > > I like grub, but I've had much more success with lilo.
11
12 I find this interesting, because grub in situations *without* a
13 separate /boot partition is super-easy! I've never run it in
14 any other way. In the menu.lst, just have everything refer
15 to /boot/<kernel> and so on, (because that is where it *is*),
16 and use
17 root (hd0,0)
18 (actually, for you, (hd4,0), right?)
19
20 I haven't used lilo for a couple of years now, and i've been exclusively
21 grub. Grub has let me down *once* in all that time, and that was because
22 I was an idjit and "upgraded" the files and re-ran grub to install the
23 new code. It was a problem with the Debian package at the time and it
24 horked all over the floor (very messy -- needed a mop,...)
25 I fixed it with my grub boot floppy, which I made off of my gentoo box.
26 Yay! Problem solved. With LILO, it was always one thing or another.
27 I had a boot disk *handy*.
30 The Amazing* Jon Nelson <jnelson@××××××××××.com>
31 C and Python Programmer, Code Gardener
32 Just because it's not broken doesn't mean we can't take it apart.
33 (* may not actually amaze)