From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deleting old news items
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2018 01:59:55
1 On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 6:55 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > W dniu pią, 05.01.2018 o godzinie 23∶09 +0100, użytkownik Kristian
4 > Fiskerstrand napisał:
5 > > On 01/05/2018 10:28 PM, Aaron W. Swenson wrote:
6 > > > On 2018-01-05 15:16, William Hubbs wrote:
7 > > > > If we have a default expiration, it should be one year after the date
8 > > > > posted to go along with our current policy of not supporting things
9 > that
10 > > > > are older than a year.
11 > > > >
12 > > > > William
13 > > >
14 > > > I thought it was three years.
15 > > >
16 > > > At any rate, I think a year is too short.
17 > > >
18 > > > How about 18 months?
19 > > >
20 > >
21 > > I might sound like a broken CD here, but why define the expiration as
22 > > part of the news format instead of specifying it in the package manager
23 > > as a user defined variable? Various use cases requires different
24 > > treatment, so leaving it up to user seems more relevant to me, and we
25 > > could allow information to be presented as part of stages to give a hint
26 > > for what dates to look for?
29 > To be honest, I kinda agree with Kristian here. I feel like this header
30 > isn't going to work well.
31 >
32 > While the idea may initially sound good, I'm afraid we'll have the usual
33 > developer split here: some developers will set very long times, some
34 > will set very short times, some will not care and just copy some random
35 > value (default, the value from some other news item). In the end, users
36 > will end up seeing very old news items from dev X, while newer items
37 > from dev Y will disappear.
38 >
39 > So yes, I think having a single predefined time is better,
40 > for consistency at least. And allowing user to adjust that time based
41 > on his own is certainly better than making it only dev-settable.
44 I'll swerve right then and say this:
45 antarus@nspawntest /var/lib/gentoo/news $ cat news-gentoo.unread
46 2013-09-27-initramfs-required
47 2014-06-15-gcc48_ssp
48 2014-10-26-gcc_4_7_introduced_new_c++11_abi
49 2015-02-04-portage-sync-changes
50 2015-07-25-python-targets
51 2015-08-13-openssh-weak-keys
52 2015-10-22-gcc-5-new-c++11-abi
53 2016-06-23-l10n-use_expand
54 2017-11-30-new-17-profiles
55
56 Here are my news items.
57
58 initramfs-required hits every Gentoo box, has 0 Display restrictions, and
59 will never ever ever go away => delete it.
60 gcc48_ssp: Display-If-Installed: >=sys-devel/gcc-4.8.3 (and it includes
61 basically every major arch.) It will also never ever ever ever go away.
62 Either delete it or cap the gcc version.
63 gcc_4_7: Same boat as above, either cap the gcc version or nuke it.
64 portage: display-If-Installed: sys-apps/portage, will display on ever box.
65 So cap that as well.
66 python-targets: has no Display-If Headers, it will display on every box.
67 Delete it or cap it.
68 openssh_weak_keys: Display-If-Installed: net-misc/openssh. This looks like
69 a bug (only people who were on < 7.0 care about it.
70 gcc-5: Display-If-Installed: >=sys-devel/gcc-5 => another uncapped news
71 item.
72 l10n: Another news item with no Display-If-* headers, it too will live
73 forever.
74 new-17-profiles: another >=gcc-X, will never go away.
75
76 So 3 items have no display headers and are not fixable without adding a new
77 header. Many others can be fixed by capping Display-If-Installed versions.
78
79 -- Aside, I'm not totally convinced modifying the entries will work based
80 on a bug in portage-news. I'll poke the implementation more.
81
82 -A
86 > --
87 > Best regards,