From: Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Per package use flags?
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:59:25
1. What?

Ok, I've found my set of useflags, and acutally I'm pretty happy with
it. But there are some packages which I *always* compile a little
different then the rest of my system (e.g. and don't need every feature
and his grandmother for my mod_php test install on my laptop). So I do
have to

#USE="-foo bar" emerge foo-bar

Works, but is not really that nice, especially when you're like me and
forget things like this once in a while.

2. Proposed solution:

A file /etc/portage/custom.use (or however you want to call it), that is
somewhat similar to package.mask (or /etc/portage/package.mask for that
matter as it overrides the standard settings), which contains one entry
per line in the form of:

foo-bar/foobar "-foo bar"

So when I emerge a package and portage finds an entry for it in this
file, the useflags will be put in the environment (USE_ORDER =
env:conf:auto:defaults), like the statement

#USE="..." emerge ...

would have done.

3. You lazy...

Yeah, I know, all talk no code, but I'm fairly with Python, and after my
first look Portage seemed a little to complicated as a beginner's task
(at least for me). Although at the moment I have no access to a test box
and don't want to fry my main system...

Comments?
Michael

--