From: Brett <adalovelace@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ATTN ALL DEVS - REGARDING PRIVATE INFO
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 03:17:10
1 On Tue, 2003-09-30 at 11:09, Benjamin Coles wrote:
2 > First off I'd like to thank the current 31 developers that sent in their
3 > information. It seems that there are some growing concerns about data
4 > management and such, things I have not encountered before sending out the
5 > last email. Right now I am the holder of this data, no one else can see or
6 > get it and it's not in any database. I will not put any of this into the
7 > database unless I know myself it's secure. The current ideas for xml
8 > doesn't seem to be possible and so far we're thinking of having a database
9 > and a webpage for devls on one server and have an anonymous account
10 > allowed to only view the public information parse hourly to an xml form.
11 > Birthday will be moved to developers page, I thought it would be
12 > neat...
13 <snip>
14
15 I think your intent is good (and thankyou), I was only concerned with
16 the implementation/access :-)
17
18 FYI: The university where I recently worked (Australia, subject to
19 Privacy Act 2000) had staff information pages which where controlled by
20 each staff member. Each staff member selected what information they
21 wanted to disclose and posted it themselves. All requests for staff
22 information (eg name, email address) from (eg) students were referred to
23 the relevant page. This policy avoided accidental or intentional
24 disclose of personal information.
25
26 If, for example, gentoo wanted to use such information in, say the
27 weekly news letter, the newsletter writer could refer to the relevant
28 page and see what info was available for use.
29
30 Thanks,
31 Brett
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list