From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Fixing the TERM mess
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:54:27
1 On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 09:28:28 +0200 "ivan vadovič" <pifko@×××.sk> wrote:
2 | I think the key thing here is that the application should be able to
3 | ask the terminal for its feature set.
4
5 Should and can are two entirely different things. We're dealing with
6 reality here and trying to cope with fifty years or so of differing
7 terminal designs.
8
9 | That'd also solve the cases where a terminal changes right beneath a
10 | running application. That
11 | happens during attaching a screen session.
12
13 No it doesn't. Screen provides a virtual terminal with lots and lots of
14 capabilities. It then reduces them itself internally to what it thinks
15 the underlying term supports -- again, this is done via terminfo, so if
16 you're running screen on xterm you're running a crippled screen.
19 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
20 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
21 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm