From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introduce ppc64le architecture into gentoo ! please share your comments
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 03:50:13
1 On 11 Aug 2015 10:45, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 8/11/15 10:33 AM, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
3 > > On 11/08/15 06:11 AM, Leno Hou wrote:
4 > >> I think ppc64le would become popular,
5 > >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ppc64.
6 > >>
7 > >> 1. enable porting x86 Linux based application with minimal effort.
8 > >> 2. Some PowerPC user, little endian apparently feels cheap, wrong,
9 > >> and PCish. 3. Other distrbutions like Ubuntu, Redhat and SUSE
10 > >> already support little endian in powerpc.
11 > >
12 > > In terms of the codepaths, what's different between ppc64le vs ppc64,
13 > > and ppc64le vs amd64 ? Obviously kernels will differ, but in terms of
14 > > C/C++/other compiled source code what needs to change?
15 > >
16 > > If all this needs is its own profile for a CHOST/CBUILD specification
17 > > and it can leverage an existing keyword, then this should be rather
18 > > simple to implement yes?
19 >
20 > We would leverage this on ppc64 keyword. It is a bit dangerous to claim
21 > that a pkg stable on ppc64 is stable on ppc64le, but we would live with
22 > that risk. Ideally you should test on both. The situation is analogous
23 > to mips where there are many different ISAs and both be and le. It is
24 > one of the reasons mips is hard to move back into stable. But having
25 > stable keywords is really nice when it comes to building and maintaining
26 > stages and keeping base pkgs versions in sync with the other arches.
27 > For this reason, I would even been in favor of restoring stable mips
28 > with the understanding that "stable" carries something of a risk when
29 > crossing the be/le boundry, or the mips I vs mips III, or 32 vs 64, etc.
30
31 yes, we should just re-use the existing KEYWORDS and control the endian
32 differences via profiles. it's how other arches (mips, ppc, arm, arm64)
33 are handled currently.
34
35 note: people have already built Gentoo for ppc little endian, but that
36 tends to only be used in embedded setups, so the builds don't get published
37 like other arches as stages.
38 -mike