From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Request for changes to GLEP 41
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 18:10:18
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > * Drop the idea of giving the arch testers an email alias altogether
3 > I don't see what benefit this provides, to be honest. It's not much of a
4 > spiff and if someone is signing up to help with testing just for the
5 > email address, they're not here for the right reasons anyway.
6
7 I agree that if somebody signs up for an email address, he's in the wrong place.
8 This issue is not new, it's the same with beeing a dev. Becoming an AT isn't
9 easier than becoming dev: You've got a probation period of 30 days, you've got
10 to do the staff and ebuild quizzes. On a side note, I don't think anybody
11 considers the worth of a @g.o address so high that he would sign up only to gain
12 the email address.
13
14 On the other side, giving the ATs a @g.o address does make sense. It might be
15 easier for other arches, but at least the amd64 team has quite a lot of them,
16 and it's really difficult to keep all the cryptic email addresses in mind. I
17 have to check our AT-List about 3 times a week to see whether a bug was filed by
18 an AT which I can trust and which I know of what his system looks like, or if it
19 is just average Joe. So to me, an email alias would make things easier, with or
20 without subdomain
21
22 > * Change @subdomain.gentoo.org to @gentoo.org.
23 >
24 > If we want to give them a spiff in recognition of their contribution to
25 > the project, give them the real thing. We do this today for any number
26 > of other non-developer groups, including GWN translators, documentation
27 > translators, etc.
28
29 The original GLEP didn't foresee a subdomain, we actually wanted to give them a
30 @g.o address, but it seemed that a lot of devs thought ATs were just a random
31 bunch of incompetent users and as a consequence this, don't deserve a 'real'
32 @g.o address. It made me quite sad, and I'm happy to see that I'm not the only
33 one who thinks it would be better to not cut gentoo into different groups.
34 However, the council asked for it, and so it was changed. And the council didn't
35 ask for this on his own, they were just reflecting the majority of devs, so
36 we'll have to accept that.
37
38 > * Create an entirely new domain
39
40 I don't really like this, and it seems at least equally complicated as
41 subdomains. If that's really the way we (as in Gentoo) want to go, I'll happily
42 continue to look up the AT page 3 times a week. It's really not a THAT big
43 issue. I just thought it would be nice to give the ATs a @g.o address, but it's
44 really not essentially for me to work.
45
46 Regards,
49 Simon Stelling
50 Gentoo/AMD64 Operational Co-Lead