From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Glep 49 (g2boojum's version)
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 01:39:25
1 On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 19:48 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Friday 02 June 2006 18:47, Marius Mauch wrote:
3 > > Actually this is probably the main problem of all the "package manager
4 > > compability" gleps: We don't have a proper specification, all existing
5 > > docs more or less are based on the existing portage implementation. So
6 > > right now the implementation is the authorative specification, which of
7 > > course creates some problems.
8 > > IMO before any such glep can be considered we need a proper
9 > > specification about our package and repository formats, otherwise you
10 > > can't really validate any package manager (the statespace is a bit
11 > > large for equivalence checks).
12 >
13 > The problem is actually that such a document is a living thing and it must not
14 > only exist initially but be maintained continuously.
15
16 Yes and no. EAPI=0 is somewhat nailed down. We could nail it down
17 further. Any future EAPI versions could easily be written as just the
18 differences from the previous EAPI.
19
20 fex. EAPI=1 (or whatever) could be something like: all of EAPI=0 +
21 multiple repositories (and a definition of requirements), USE-based
22 dependencies (and a definition of requirements/etc), and per-package
23 use.mask (including all the necessary information.
24
25 Honestly, it is really bad that we do *not* have a listing of what is
26 and what is not allowed in ebuilds. We have lots of different places
27 where such things exist, but no one clear definition. We really need a
28 single, concise definition of what exactly *is* an ebuild before trying
29 to proceed further.
30
31 Things to consider:
32
33 - required variables (SRC_URI, DESCRIPTION, HOMEPAGE)
34 - disallowed variables (P, T, PN)
35 - valid non-function abilities (inherit is all that comes to mind)
36 - description of default functions (as in what they are, not so much
37 what they do in detail)
38
39 I'm sure there's *tons* and *tons* more stuff, but this is a start. We
40 do have quite a bit of this in the ebuild man page, os it isn't like
41 we'd have to start from scratch.
44 Chris Gianelloni
45 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
46 x86 Architecture Team