From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Going against co-maintainer's wishes (ref. bug 412697)
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 07:23:52
1 On 26 May 2013 00:48, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 26 May 2013 00:14:36 +0800
3 > Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Unless I am mistaken, we did NOT agree anywhere that Gentoo
5 >> maintainers MUST add systemd support when upstream does not ship such
6 >> files.
7 >
8 > We did agree that Gentoo maintainers are not supposed to work on
9 > enabling systemd support if they don't want to.
10
11 OK, that sounds good.
12
13 > On the other hand, we
14 > also agreed that they shouldn't refuse unit files if anyone else
15 > does the work for them.
16
17 Where is this policy documented?
18
19 >> [...]
20 >> And you misunderstood: it is systemd that is aggressively opposed to
21 >> Gentoo. But apparently that doesn't bother some of our developers and
22 >> Gentoo is becoming more and more welcoming to it.
23 >
24 > Protecting freedom through taking away the freedom of using systemd?
25 > Makes sense really.
26
27 That would be similar to the way the GPL protects software freedom.
28 Does that not make sense to you either?
29
30 But it isn't even like that. I'm not taking away anyone's freedom to
31 use systemd. You can do so if you wish. You can add unit files to your
32 system by yourself, or use an overlay. There are various ways this
33 could be realized even within Gentoo.
34
35 But you seem to dismiss all of those, and will only be happy by
36 forcing maintainers to add support to packages they maintain, even if
37 they believe it is a bad idea.
40 Cheers,
41
42 Ben | yngwin