From: "Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò" <flameeyes@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sed vs gsed
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:25:12
1 On Wednesday 25 January 2006 09:54, Grobian wrote:
2 > It appears that some people
3 > don't agree with you on changing the assumptions made in the current
4 > portage tree.
5 I'm not going to ask for dropping the assumption, I'm just asking for making
6 sure that the assumption is actually backed up with actual presence. The
7 sed/gsed naming shouldn't be too hard to achieve and it's already common in
8 non-GNU userlands. As we seen for gmake/gawk, it's also a common way to make
9 sure for some scripts to use a GNU tool.
10
11 > Solution to this is making the GNU tool the default for portage known
12 > under its non-g-prefixed name, such that the assumptions made in the
13 > tree hold.
14 This requires (ab)using /usr/lib/portage/bin .. last time you were against
15 that, weren't you?
16
17 > Maybe it's just the path of least resistance... The profit of having a
18 > tree that works with any implementation of awk, sed, find, xargs, etc.
19 > is perhaps too small for the actual work and sacrifices needed for it.
20 About find, the problem is really minimum: with last release GNU find make
21 simpler to deal with it as it has a stricter syntax.
22 The rest, I never asked for people to rewrite all the awk and sed scripts to
23 work with BSDish awk and sed, I'm just asking to make sure that the GNU
24 versions are called, no matter what, by using gawk and gsed naming. I'm not
25 even asking for them to be fixed for all ebuilds, but only for the ones that
26 uses subshell not respecting aliases....
27 Not that difficult, is it?
30 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://dev.gentoo.org/~flameeyes/
31 Gentoo/ALT lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE