From: Ruud Huijssoon <vonkie@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Problems with emerge
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 11:35:31
1 Hi there,
2
3 After I installed LFS awhile back, I wanted to try out gentoo, and so I did
4
5 The basic install worked great!
6
7 After that, I tried emerge x11-wm/WindowMaker because I wanted Xwindows and
8 WindoMaker and then it started
9
10 Lockups while d/l X420src-1.tgz. I wasn't able to login through another
11 console nor ^C the operation so I had to do a cold reboot
12
13 Tried again, part -2 and -3 d/l oke but now de install failed the checksum
14 of the -1 file. So I removed it and did emerge x11-wm/WindowMaker again.
15 Lockup while d/l. Now I was getting annoyed so I did ftp ftp.xfree86.org and d/l
16 the source myself and put it in /usr/src/port*/dist*/
17
18 Again I did emerge x11-wm/WindowMaker and now it passed the checksums. i was
19 happy until...
20
21 Again that -1 file! Now it lockup my system while it was u npacking the
22 file!
23
24 So I have 2 questions for you: 1) how do I succesfully install X11 and
25 WindMaker on my gentoo system and 2) can you program emerge in such a way that it
26 doens't lock up the entire system when there is a problem during the install?
27 I'm having M$ flashbacks here!
28
29 Anyway, this email isn't meant as a flame, the Gentoo project looks great
30 but at the moment I have just these two annoying problems :)
31
32 I hope you can help me out here
33
34 Sincerely,
35 Ruud
38 GMX - Die Kommunikationsplattform im Internet.
39 http://www.gmx.net