From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:23:20
1 On 03/14/2012 12:28, Matthew Summers wrote:
4 > Gentoo provides a solution with genkernel, dracut provides a solution,
5 > even the linux kernel itself provides a solution (in my view the
6 > easiest solution at that).
9 The kernel doesn't appear to create the networking interfaces, though.
10 CONFIG_DEVTMPFS is only going to handle things that physically exist within
11 /dev, of which, ethernet devices have always been excluded. If that can get
12 fixed in some fashion, then devtmpfs pretty much does make this a non-issue.
15 > I just wanted to drop this simple fact in there. This has been coming
16 > for several years now AND the linux kernel has been using an initramfs
17 > for every boot, every time for a long time now, all 2.6 and up as I
18 > understand it. If the initramfs is empty, well the kernel is smart
19 > enough to fall back on "legacy" boot process.
22 initramfs was introduced in 2.6.10, and prior to that, only a handful of
23 architectures even supported a built-in initrd (MIPS was one, and it wasn't
24 very pretty or functional). I believe other distros required the bootloader
25 to pass the initrd to them somehow, but having never used an initrd in that
26 fashion, I don't know for certain.
27
28 But yes, if you enable CONFIG_IKCONFIG_PROC, you're essentially turning on
29 (or utilizing) an initramfs accessible via /proc.
32 Joshua Kinard
33 Gentoo/MIPS
34 kumba@g.o
35 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
36
37 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
38 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
39
40 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic