From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Portage 2.0.51 comments/questions
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2004 03:01:31
1 On Sun, 2004-09-26 at 23:52, Duncan wrote:
2
3 > What's this mean? What are the implications? How do I do that relinking
4 > if I decide I need to? Can I fix it by enabling a feature in make.conf
5 > or do I run a separate command? Either way, there's not enough info there
6 > to actually DO it, nor do I even have enough info to rightly evaluate the
7 > "security risk"!
8 >
9 > There's simply not enough there to be anything but a yet it's
10 > labeled security risk. Someone's being *MEAN* with their teasing! =:^\
13 Sorry about that. This qa notice steams from an internal thread. It was
14 intended for developers to see. I've got an open bug now to change the
15 output of the qa notice.
16
17 The append-ldflags is a function that comes from the flag-o-matic.eclass
18 which is intended for the developer to use to add a string to the
19 packages LDFLAGS. The user interface works just like the CFLAGS
20 counterpart.
21
22 So for example to make that message go away for crontab as a user you
23 would do LDFLAGS="-Wl,-z,now" emerge virtual/cron
24
25 The basic idea is rid our tree of setXid executables that have use lazy
26 bindings. Lazy binding themselves present no immediate risk that's been
27 documented. The behavior is just generally discouraged.
28
29 To answer the question about can you add this to any files the answer is
30 yes. For about a yaer or so now portage has accepted LDFLAGS via
31 make.conf.
32 Before you jump into a system-wide deployment of a linker flag be sure
33 you understand what they do. The flag for one is known to slow down
34 program startup. You wont really see it on a small executable but really
35 big c++ app with alot of symbols that also loads alot of libraries you
36 might. On the same token of slowdowns is the runtime speedup you gain
37 because ld.so will already have looked up the entire symbol table.
40 *mean* -solar
44 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
45 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer