From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog generation - pros and cons (council discussion request)
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 14:49:31
1 On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 07:14, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> thinking about it a little more, i think this can easily be addressed.
4 >>  only auto-generate the ChangeLog file if it doesnt exist in VCS.
5 >> thus the few people who are actually anal about typos (or just think
6 >> they are) can retain their ChangeLogs in the packages they maintain
7 >> and continue to hand update them.  for the rest of us, we can
8 >> autogenerate from the VCS logs.
9 >
10 > I'm not sure we should really leave that up to individual practice.
11 > Remember that while packages have one or more maintainers, nobody
12 > "owns" a package.
13
14 the maintainer kind of does own that
15
16 > If 99% of the tree is ChangeLog-free then will an
17 > arch team remember to run echangelog on the 1% that still have them,
18 > and so on?
19
20 fair point, although overlays and such wont have changelogs generated
21 automatically, so there is going to be a disconnect. we could have
22 echangelog simply ignore a missing ChangeLog file so that people dont
23 have to change their scripts ...
24
25 > If typos matter then they matter to everybody, and if they don't then
26 > we should not care.  QA in Gentoo should be a consistent experience.
27
28 while the last sentence is true, the first is not. if a minority of
29 people care about typos, and/or they rarely fix said typos, then the
30 logical answer is that their opinion loses out. it doesnt mean that
31 everyone agrees.
32 -mike