From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog generation - pros and cons (council discussion request)
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2011 14:49:31
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 07:14, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 1:59 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote: >> thinking about it a little more, i think this can easily be addressed. >>  only auto-generate the ChangeLog file if it doesnt exist in VCS. >> thus the few people who are actually anal about typos (or just think >> they are) can retain their ChangeLogs in the packages they maintain >> and continue to hand update them.  for the rest of us, we can >> autogenerate from the VCS logs. > > I'm not sure we should really leave that up to individual practice. > Remember that while packages have one or more maintainers, nobody > "owns" a package.
the maintainer kind of does own that
> If 99% of the tree is ChangeLog-free then will an > arch team remember to run echangelog on the 1% that still have them, > and so on?
fair point, although overlays and such wont have changelogs generated automatically, so there is going to be a disconnect. we could have echangelog simply ignore a missing ChangeLog file so that people dont have to change their scripts ...
> If typos matter then they matter to everybody, and if they don't then > we should not care.  QA in Gentoo should be a consistent experience.
while the last sentence is true, the first is not. if a minority of people care about typos, and/or they rarely fix said typos, then the logical answer is that their opinion loses out. it doesnt mean that everyone agrees. -mike