From: mbutcher <mbutcher@××××××××××.tv>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] doc categories
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 11:18:46
1 Though it makes sense to be able to specify a prefered document format in the
2 USE variables, a blanket 'docs' variable doesn't make a lot of sense to me --
3 at least not in the case of most of the documents I'm thinking of.
4
5 Going back to my previous example, it makes sense that Python documents be
6 separate from the the Python interpreter. Why? Because everyone needs the
7 interpreter (to run Portage), but only developers are going to use the
8 tutorials and references.
9
10 On the other hand, just because I want the docs for Python, it doesn't mean
11 that I also want the docs for Ruby, or the Linux HOWTO docs. Using a USE var
12 would mean that I had to set it depending on what package I was installing.
13
14 To me, it makes sense to come up with a convention for splitting documents
15 from applications, and making the docs easy to find.
16
17 Matt
18