From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Please don't use IUSE=static-libs unless really necessary
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 20:54:26
1 Hello all,
2
3 Considering that the 'magical IUSE check' in autotools-utils (and a few
4 other eclasses) is considered broken, and taking Diego's word [1],
5 I'd like to ask you to reconsider your uses of IUSE=static-libs.
6
7 To be honest, I'd like to remove that magic soon which means that all
8 ebuilds needing to adjust static lib build will need to pass
9 '$(use_enable static-libs static)' themselves. While at it, it may be
10 better to just drop the flag if no other package relies on it and no
11 user has ever requested the static build of that package.
12
13 It is possible that some of you have added IUSE=static-libs along with
14 autotools-utils just to have .la files removed. The removal algorithm
15 has been improved much lately, and it no longer requires that USE flag
16 -- .la files will be removed as well if there's no corresponding static
17 lib.
18
19 For the packages where static linking is required, I'd like to kindly
20 ask you to always include IUSE='+static' in the package itself,
21 IUSE='+static-libs' in the dependencies and let users disable that if
22 they really don't need it. And if you're using autotools-utils.eclass,
23 please add necessary $(use_enable)s in the ebuild -- this is more
24 portable and will make the IUSE magic removal less painful.
25
26 Thanks in advance.
27
28 [1]:http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2011/08/29/useless-flag-static-libs