From: Jerry A! <jerry@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo installation problems
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:55:28
1 On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 02:39:09PM -0400, Marcus A Martin wrote:
2 : >
3 : >You can try issuing "ifconfig eth0 up" to make sure that the interface
4 : >is up and then run "dhcpcd -d eth0".
5 : I will test this when I get home.
6 :
7 : >You may not be connecting b/c the card isn't correctly auto-negotiating
8 : >with the switch/hub it's plugged into. Maybe you DHCP server has
9 : >tresholds or does expect a hostname or MAC address. Maybe the network
10 : >card is bad. Try swapping it with one of the working ones.
11 :
12 : This machine is currently dual boots windows/debian and is on the
13 : network. It can successfully connect to the network in either OS using
14 : the dhcp service. So I know that the problem is either software, or
15 : between the chair and the keyboard. I am currently attempting to
16 : determine if the I am the problem (i.e. dumb user skips step).
17
18 Okay, so we know the hardware is good.
19
20 : Let me state again all that I have done. Please let me know if I
21 : skipped a step.
22 :
23 : 1) Boot from build CD image (42MB size)
24 :
25 : 2) Login as root
26 :
27 : 3) modprobe tulip (activates network card)
28
29 3a) ifconfig eth0 up
30
31 : 4) dhcpcd -d eth0
32 :
33 : Am I missing a step??
34
35 Nope, it all looks good.
36
37 : Okay. Thanks for the patient help by the way.
38
39 You're welcome.
40
41 --Jerry
42
43 name: Jerry Alexandratos || Open-Source software isn't a
44 phone: 703.599.6023 || matter of life or death...
45 email: jerry@×××××××.org || ...It's much more important
46 || than that!