From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Virtuals revisited (Round 3)
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 14:27:44
1 On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:20:43 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 | Back in my quest to rid the tree of the evil virtuals and their plot
4 | to destroy my mind. I think I've covered all bases with this one -
5 | perhaps even enough to satisfy TGL. Take your best shot!
6
7 1) You need an explicit example of what virtual/jdk/jdk-1.4.ebuild looks
8 like.
9
10 2) For the consistency section, I'm not sure how you're going to
11 implement this. The example I tend to use is this (versions simplified
12 slightly for clarity):
13
14 * User emerges vim-6.3, gvim-6.3. ~vim-core-6.3 is in as an RDEPEND.
15 * User upgrades to vim-7.0. ~vim-7.0 is in as an RDEPEND.
16 * User still has gvim-6.3 installed. gvim-6.3 has an RDEPEND upon
17 ~vim-6.3, which is no longer installed. gvim is now broken.
18
19 An example of exactly how portage would 'solve' this would be
20 helpful. Would it ask for an unmerge of gvim-6.3 or would it include an
21 upgrade of gvim-6.3 as part of the "emerge ~vim-7"?
22
23 3) We don't specify every virtual in every profile thanks to cascades.
24
25 4) Backwards compatibility -- all virtuals ebuilds should include
26 DEPEND=">=portage-2.whatever" as well as the "|| ( foo bar )" stuff.
27
28 5) Someone tie up TGL and don't let him escape until he agrees to be a
29 dev this time.
32 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
33 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
34 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm