From: "Manuel RĂ¼ger" <mrueg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Package removal without proper last-riting
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 08:33:32
1 Hi,
2
3 I recently noticed it twice, that it seems to be common practice to
4 remove a package without using the methods described in [1], but just
5 dropping it from cvs.
6
7 From my observations packages removed without last-rites could be
8 characterized by this:
9
10 - it was a dependency of another package
11 - this package dropped / incorporated the dependency
12 - no other packages depend on it
13 - there are possible forks or updates, but maintainer doesn't care^W^W
14 has no interest
15
16 This might work for the main tree, but it won't for overlays, that might
17 also depend on these packages (because they have a patched / older
18 version of your maintained package).
19
20 Please stop killing user experience or document this "feature" in [1].
21
22 Best regards,
23
24 Manuel