From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: python@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] A news item covering PYTHON_TARGETS
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 14:45:03
1 Hello,
2
3 Since some ebuilds are using that variable already and we still didn't
4 inform most of our users if and how they should set it, I'd like to
5 commit the following news item:
6
7 Title: PYTHON_TARGETS deployment
8 Author: Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>
9 Content-Type: text/plain
10 Posted: 2012-10-29
11 Revision: 1
12 News-Item-Format: 1.0
13
14 Lately, a new Python eclasses were deployed and the way of supporting
15 multiple Python implementations changes with ebuilds being migrated
16 to them. While before the implementations being installed were used
17 by default, the migrated packages will instead use explicit choice based
18 on PYTHON_TARGETS USE flags. This may require action from some of our
19 users.
20
21 If you are running a modern system with Python 2.7 & 3.2, and you didn't
22 set USE_PYTHON, then you don't have to do anything. The defaults
23 will fit you.
24
25 Otherwise, you will want to set PYTHON_TARGETS in your make.conf file.
26 This is a regular USE_EXPAND variable listing requested Python
27 implementations like:
28
29 PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_2 pypy1_9 jython2_5"
30
31 The variable should list all requested Python implementations.
32 A complete list of possible values can be obtained using a command like:
33
34 emerge -1pv dev-python/python-exec
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny