From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Projects and subproject status
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:42:29
1 On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 22:31 +0100, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > Are we fine?
3
4 Speaking for the ruby herd (which isn't a project and doesn't have a
5 lead, but I'm sure Richard or Josh will correct any mistakes I make):
6
7 No. Even though there are plenty of people in the herd only a few of us
8 commit on a regular basis. We could use more people helping out with
9 ruby stuff, especially now that ruby 1.9 has been released. At the
10 moment our bug list is only growing, and we don't have much time to
11 pro-actively bump any of the packages.
12
13 On the bright side we've identified and partly fixed a number of eclass
14 issues, and things are shaping up in that department.
15
16 Future plans:
17 - get ruby 1.9 into the tree and allow for it work in parallel with ruby
18 1.8.
19 - rework the gems eclass so that we can actually test and patch gems
20 without grossly abusing ebuild conventions.
21 - create a ruby project to make coordination a bit easier and have a
22 specific place for in-progress stuff and general knowledge on ruby in
23 Gentoo.
24 - recruit some more people to help out with ruby.
25
26 Kind regards,
27
28 Hans