From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: On the good usage of subslots
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 00:45:23
1 On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 01:09:38 +1100
2 Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 9/02/2013 23:52, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 > > On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 23:38:35 +1100
6 > > Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> I even noticed some maintainers adding subslots dependencies on
9 > >> libraries that do not yet define subslots. This too seems
10 > >> reasonable, given that there would be no impact until the library
11 > >> defines a (sensible) subslot in the future.
12 > >
13 > > By the way, this could also be discussed: I did not check, but as
14 > > far as I understand it subslot is equal to slot if not defined.
15 > > When said library defines a subslot, the subslot will change and
16 > > thus triggers a (likely useless) rebuild of your package setting
17 > > a := dep.
18 > >
19 > > Alexis.
23 > Yeah. This behaviour can be avoided by introducing the explicit
24 > subslot only when the subslot would otherwise need bumping.
25
26 I would not count on that as this would mean extra care has to be taken
27 when adding a subslot.
28
29 Alexis.